Who can register?
Families from all linguistic backgrounds are welcome to attend Cousteau school
- If you don’t speak French at home, you are not alone: approximately 70% of the school students do not speak French at home.
- Small class sizes enhance communication between teachers and parents.
- After classes, students can stay for Study club (Grade 2 to 4) or Perm’Études (Grade 5 to 7) to do their homework under the supervision of French or English speaking teachers.
- The school has a French as a Second Language teacher who helps non French speaking students in learning French.
Early Pre-K and Pre-K children do not need any previous knowledge of French to be accepted, but they must be toilet trained.
From Kindergarten, children might have to take a placement test:
Students coming from a school following the French curriculum, member of the French Agency Abroad (AEFE) or set by the French Ministry of Education, can be registered directly at Cousteau upon submission of their 2 previous report cards (photocopies) and subject to available place in the requested grade.
Students not coming from a school following the French curriculum, member of the French Agency Abroad (AEFE) or set by the French Ministry of Education, will participate in class activities for half a day at school if they wish to enter Kindergarten, or will take a placement test to register in Grade 1 and above. Placement tests are standard exams that challenge a student’s ability in Math, French and English, in a 90-minute test.
Our goal is to ensure that our program meets the needs of the child, and to determine whether he should participate in the integration program for non-francophone or non-anglophone children (details of our pedagogy of languages here).
Registration & Tests
To register your child:
- Please contact our Admissions department : firstname.lastname@example.org or (604) 924-2457
You will be offered a meeting with us.
- Please send us the application form for new student completed and signed – Cousteau School Application form 2019-20
- Then you will receive the enrollment contract for the school year to be signed and you will have to fill out the annual registration form online.